- Telephone 0131 667 2765
- Opening times Mon–Sat 11am–10pm. Closed Sun (except on performance days)
- Bar open Mon–Fri 10.30am–4pm. Sat 10.30am–4pm. Closed Sun.
- Food served Mon–Fri noon–2.30pm. Sat noon–2pm. Closed Sun.
- Average price £11 (lunch)
- Website www.festivaltheatre.org.uk
Jump to comments
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
There's a light Parisian motif to this eatery attached to the Festival Theatre (and associated with Nicholson Street's Ten Hill Place Hotel). Long windows provide ample people-watching opportunities and the cheerful apple-red interior makes it a pleasant spot for pre- and post-show drinks. The menu features options of soups, sandwiches and filled baked potatoes. Along with omelettes made to order, the cafe tips its beret to Paris with a quartet of 'croque' sandwiches: monsieur, madame, Norwegian and vegetarian. On a more Scottish note, the cafe can also be set apart for its pie of the day option. Golden puff pastry layers encase a chicken, mushroom and spinach filling that is chunky, creamy and seasoned with tarragon. A chicken and bacon club sandwich arrives on thick toasted bread spread with pickle and home-made mayonnaise. Compared to the range of savoury options, treats and tray bakes seem like an afterthought, but a coffee and walnut cake is full of nutty flavour. Though Café Lucia is mainly regarded as a theatre bar, the satisfying lunches show it can be much more than that.
- High point: Pleasant pie of the day
- Low point: Weak coffee
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- Private dining: Function rooms available upstairs for private bookings.
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Live music, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: chart music
- Capacity: 56
- Largest group: 20
- Open since: 1994
- House wine: £18 per bottle