Café Modern One
- Telephone 0131 332 8600
- Food served Mon–Fri noon–2.30pm; Sat noon–2.30pm; Sun noon–2.30pm. [Coffee & cakes: Mon–Fri 9am–4.30pm; Sat/Sun: 10am–4.30pm] [Extended in Festival].
- Average price £9 (set lunch)
- Website www.heritageportfolio.co.uk
Jump to comments (1)
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
Indoors and out, Café Modern One is heaving with art-lovers, tourists and locals alike. The gallery is in a glorious setting, with the neat sculpture and herb garden round the back providing an ideal spot for outside lounging. The simple menu offers well-prepared meat and veggie options that are composed from local, seasonal produce and made from scratch. Alongside a range of daily specials sit soups and filled ciabatta rolls or sandwiches. The baked potatoes have wonderfully crisp jackets, with pillowy soft insides. Salads can include Puy lentil and brie, while a large, almost over-spiced samosa is cooled with a crème fraîche and lime dressing. Portions are princely in this self-service cafeteria, but it’s worth trying to leave room for coffee and home-baking – the chocolate truffle cake is a winner.
- High point: Perfect for patio dining
- Low point: Lunchtime can get pretty busy
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6 (+ Prosecco and rosé in summer)
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Nothing
- Capacity: 120 (195 in summer)
- Largest group: 200
- Open since: Approx 28 years ago
- House wine: £16 per bottle
Comments & ratings
Average rating 1 review of Café Modern One./5 from RSS feed of these comments