Café Modern Two
- Telephone 0131 624 6273
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–2.30pm. [Coffee & cakes served: 10am–4.30pm; Afternoon tea served: 2–4.30pm].
- Average price £11 (lunch)
- Website www.heritageportfolio.co.uk
Jump to comments (2)
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
Entering the stately Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art Two by its Georgian façade ensures a real sense of occasion. In contrast to its fellow venue across the way, Café Modern Two provides friendly, unruffled table service for its varied clientele. This calm eatery is split into two rooms, where you may take refreshments in the company of the colossal Eduardo Paolozzi ‘Vulcan’ sculpture. The choice is limited, but cleverly put together, and portions are anything but petite. With food made on-site, tastes remain fresh, with meat, vegetarian and gluten-free options available. The menu changes regularly, but examples include generously filled sandwiches served alongside a comforting mug of soup of the day, a haggis burger with roast cherry tomatoes or a large, colourful and flavoursome cube of vegetable frittata. Pretty tables are laid for towering afternoon teas and a tempting display of cakes and tray bakes beckons from the counter.
- High point: The inventive menu changes to match the current main exhibition
- Low point: Be prepared to wait for a table
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Nothing
- Capacity: 65
- Largest group: 15
- Open since: 2010
- House wine: £17.75 per bottle
Comments & ratings
Average rating 2 reviews of Café Modern Two./5 from RSS feed of these comments