The Blue Parrot Cantina
- Telephone 0131 225 2941
- Food served Tue–Thu 5–10pm; Fri 5–11pm; Sat 3.30–11pm; Sun 4.30–9pm. Closed Mon.
- Average price £13.50 (evening meal)
- Website www.facebook.com/TheBlueParrot
Jump to comments (12)
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
Restaurants on St Stephen Street come and go, but 20 years after Fiona MacRae opened her rustic basement cantina, the eponymous blue bird is still sitting perkily on his perch outside. It’s a simple, dark-painted wee place with a clutter of wooden tables and chairs, and a glimpse as you step through the front door of the chef in his open kitchen folding and rolling the tortillas for burritos and enchiladas. Tequila-based cocktails by the pitcher or glass are well priced, and you can BYOB for £5 corkage, although there’s a decent house wine that won’t break the bank. A homemade pinto bean soup is a spicy and warming bowlful, while champiñones (mushrooms) come piled into a crisp tortilla and sauced with tomato, basil and chilli. Mains include albondigas (traditional meatballs) and fresh haddock with coriander and jalapeño sealed under a lime breadcrumb crust. To finish, there’s pecan pie and chocolate fudge cake served hot or cold, or ice-creams, fruits and sorbets pepped up with kahlua, blue curaçao or tequila rose liqueurs.
- High point: Inexpensive and friendly Stockbridge institution
- Low point: Lunchtime opening is seasonal only
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs
- Music on stereo: World music
- Capacity: 28
- Largest group: 28
- Open since: 1993
- House wine: £12.95 per bottle
- BYOB: £5 corkage
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 8 reviews of The Blue Parrot Cantina./5 from RSS feed of these comments