The Ship on the Shore
- Telephone 0131 555 0409
- Opening times Mon–Thu noon–11pm; Fri/Sat 11am–midnight; Sun 12.30pm–11pm
- Bar open Mon–Sat noon–1am; Sun 12.30–1am.
- Food served Mon–Sun 9am–10pm.
- Average price £18 (lunch); £28 (evening meal)
- Website www.theshipontheshore.co.uk
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
For a Ship that's firmly anchored to the Shore, albeit just a clam shell's lob from the Water of Leith, this is a properly nautical experience. Admiralty charts serve as wallpaper, oars hang from the ceiling and blackboards at every turn list the wonderful pickings from Scottish seas and ports. Shellfish takes the lead, from mussel pakora all the way to a blow-out fruits de mer royale platter at £90. Champagne and oysters are prominent in the offer, but the real Leith decadence is a cosy, comfortable venue with its old wood and stained glass where you'll find slick service and assured cooking whether it's roasted shellfish, monkfish on the bone, breakfast of a black pudding, rosti and poached egg, or simple puds such as fruit crumble with custard. A member of the Sustainable Restaurant Association, care is taken with sourcing not just for the seafood – eggs are organic, as is the chicken served – while local merchants l'Art du Vin are behind the impressive wine list.
- High point: Puts great Scottish seafood centre stage
- Low point: Puts champagne centre stage a bit too much
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 26
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables
- Music on stereo: A mix of pop standards and jazz
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 20
- Open since: 1988
- House wine: £15 per bottle
Reviews & features
Edinburgh's Six of the Best1 Jun 2010
Porto & Fi 47 Newhaven Mainstreet, 0131 551 1900 In the mornings and mid-afternoon, this Newhaven eatery is a bustling café, serving a range of breakfast options, coffees and cakes to tourists and regulars attracted by the light, airy space…
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 5 reviews of The Ship on the Shore./5 from RSS feed of these comments