This restaurant has ceased trading.
- Telephone 0131 220 4447
- Food served Mon & Thu 5–10.30pm; Fri 11.30am–2.30pm, 5.30–10.30pm; Sat 11am–10.30pm; Sun 5.30–10.30pm. Closed Tue/Wed.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 5.30–7pm
- Average price £10.50 (set lunch); £28 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £18.95
- Website www.creelers.co.uk
Jump to comments (13)
This review is taken from the 2012 edition.
Creelers’ proprietor, Tim James, started work as a fisherman a quarter of a century ago and he and his wife Fran are co-founders of the Arran Smokehouse and regularly sell fresh fish and seafood at local farmers' markets. With such a pedigree you’d expect Creelers’ Edinburgh branch to focus exclusively on les fruits de mer, but their menus are strikingly varied, both in content and price. The Old Town restaurant has the look and feel of a continental bistro, decked out in warm yellows, reds and blues plus a large mural of the Isle of Arran – from which area much of the produce is sourced. Diners can make their selection from one of the set lunch or dinner menus or the à la carte, and there are various fish of the day specials on offer too. Start with a groaning plate of langoustines, simply prepared with garlic, butter and a squeeze of lemon, or a dense, smoky fishcake with garlic mayonnaise on the side. Mains are similarly unfussy in their presentation and include sweet, flaky halibut served with a light beurre blanc and smooth herb mash or a fillet of Loch Duart salmon with crushed potatoes and creamed leeks. Inevitably, fish and seafood is to the fore here, from mixed seafood pasta to fish stew and good old-fashioned fish and chips, but there are also beef and venison dishes on offer, all prepared using the best Scottish ingredients.
- High point: Knowledgably sourced fish and seafood in convivial surroundings
- Low point: A la carte menu contains a bewildering array of options
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 16
- Private dining: Up to 45 covers
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Jazz instrumental
- Capacity: 65
- Largest group: 45
- Open since: 1995
- House wine: £18 per bottle
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 3 reviews of Creelers./5 from RSS feed of these comments