- Telephone 0141 276 9530
- Food served Mon–Thu 10am–4pm; Fri 11am–4pm; Sat 10am–4pm; Sun 11am–4pm.
- Average price £6.95 (set lunch)
- Website www.encorehospitalityservices.co.uk
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
The grand entrance to Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum was always intended to face onto the eponymous park and it is an urban myth that it was built back-to-front. The tradition of confusion continues inside the country’s most popular attraction these days: many visitors assume the ground-floor coffee shop to be the sole sustenance spot. Venture down to the basement, however, and a bright, spacious and much grander eatery takes pride of place, offering unobstructed views (on the conservatory side) onto the park and university. Known among staff as 'the restaurant' (as opposed to 'the café' upstairs) it is nevertheless fine to opt just for breakfast (which includes the tempting poached egg with parma ham), coffee or afternoon tea. The lunch menu has a traditional Scottish (Cullen Skink, smoked salmon, haggis) and Italian (pasta, gnocchi with artichokes and sun-dried tomato) feel and is available from noon until 3pm, after which 'light bites', which include a pretty good soup and sandwich deal with a choice of breads and fillings, take precedence.
- High point: Above-average menu in glorious surroundings
- Low point: Not many signs to its existence
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 5
- Private dining: Up to 50 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Nothing
- Capacity: 180
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 2006
- House wine: £14.65 per bottle
Reviews & features
KG Cafe9 Aug 2007
Too often tourist attractions boast deeply uninspiring cafés. Donald Reid is glad to discover the KG Café at Kelvingrove has culinary ambitions befitting such an important gallery and museum
Comments & ratings
Average rating 1 review of KG Café./5 from RSS feed of these comments