Two Fat Ladies
- Telephone 0141 339 1944
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–3pm, 5.30–10.30pm; Sun 1–9pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 5.30–6.45pm
- Average price £14.50 (set lunch); £24 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £14.50
- Website www.twofatladiesrestaurant.com
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
The original Two Fat Ladies balances restaurant details with less formal, bistro-esque qualities. The dark interior with its ornate golden border looks towards the former; an open plan kitchen and chatty ambience nudge things the other way – a classy meal venue that doesn’t require one’s Sunday best. The menu displays a similar duality. There are simple dishes like baked Cajun sardines, served whole, a dry and grizzly dusting of heat against an aioli of glossy sharpness. Then there’s scallop, black pudding and bacon salad – a well-worn combination (at the top-end of the price scale here), with deft touches of delicately smoky saffron butter and a sweet scattering of garden peas pulling everything together and elevating it from equivalents elsewhere. Ling – cod’s skinny brother – comes beside a cumin-loaded dhal with rice and raita. Dishes like this, or gravadlax with subtle curing from lime (citrus) and gin (tart), are typical of the eatery’s light and modern style. Not too filling – so your meal at No. 88 need not leave you feeling as rotund as the Two Fat Ladies on the doorsign.
- High point: Small, sensible and seasonally changing menu
- Low point: The scary painting on the wall
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Post-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: jazz and easy listening
- Capacity: 28
- Largest group: 28
- Open since: 1989
- House wine: £17.95 per bottle
Reviews & features
Neat diners around town & beyond5 Mar 2009
The Wee Curry Shop 7 Buccleuch Street, Glasgow 0141 353 0777, www.motherindia.co.uk For over a decade this Garnethill dining room has been one of Glasgow’s best loved little eating spots, with just 25 covers but a big reputation for simple, fresh…
Comments & ratings
Average rating 2 reviews of Two Fat Ladies./5 from RSS feed of these comments