- Telephone 0141 248 4055
- Opening times Mon–Sat 11am–11.45pm; Sun 12.30–11.45pm.
- Bar open Mon–Sat 11am–11.45pm; Sun 12.30–11.45pm.
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–2.30pm, 6–10.30pm. (Café: Mon–Sun noon–11pm)
- Pre-theatre times Sun–Fri 6–7pm
- Average price £16.95 (set lunch); £32 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £21.95 (3 courses)
- Website www.roganoglasgow.com
Jump to comments (2)
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
Entering Rogano – one of Glasgow’s best-known restaurants – is like stepping onto a Cunard liner circa 1930. This 80-year-old institution and its Art Deco stylings are well documented but there’s nowhere else in the city remotely like it. The experience is a big part of what one pays for. Dishes pair quality ingredients with classic touches: filo pastry surrounding remarkably sweet langoustines that taste like they were swimming in Dublin Bay that morning, or better still, a lemon sole served on the bone and cooked meunière: swathes of clarified butter, skilfully browned and nutty without detracting from the delicacy of the fish. Not cheap, but not easily done either, and that know-how’s another thing you pay for. So, too, service, from staff that are charming and at ease with Rogano’s history, its repute. They add to the occasion also. It’s unashamedly old-fashioned and maybe a tad safe, but its credentials as a ‘destination’ restaurant remain strong. And alongside the lobster and oysters, there are dishes of rabbit, venison, steak – allowing those who don’t appreciate the oceans’ produce to enjoy everything else Rogano brings to the table.
- High point: Design and one-of-a-kind experience
- Low point: Uninspiring vegetable sides
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 15
- Private dining: Up to 16 covers
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables
- Music on stereo: Jazz of the Ella Fitgerald, Duke Ellington era
- Capacity: 80
- Largest group: 80
- Open since: 1935
- House wine: £20 per bottle
Comments & ratings
Average rating 2 reviews of Rogano./5 from RSS feed of these comments