The Apartment Bistro
- Telephone 0131 228 6456
- Food served Mon–Thu & Sun noon–4pm, 5–10pm; Fri/Sat noon–4pm, 5–10.30pm
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 5–7pm.
- Average price £11 (lunch); £20 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £10
- Website www.apartmentrestaurant.com
Jump to comments (28)
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
Having taken over in late 2012, The Apartment’s new owners are busy making gentle tweaks to a formula that has served Bruntsfield well for almost fifteen years. Sticking to the appealing modus operandi of serving well-sourced, seasonal food, they’ve increased the turnover of dishes, changing them every couple of days so even if you come three times a week you’ll have decisions to make. There’s a downside to this, as it means you might not be able to try a hugely satisfying kebab of harissa lamb balls studded with feta, or the outlandishly good passion fruit tart with coconut and lime mascarpone. Fortunately the general idea of unfussy, top-to-bottom inviting dishes that take their cue from seasonal ingredients remains constant across the lunch and dinner menus year round. There’s also a new focus on drinks, with quality names like Somerset cider brandy, a separate list for sherry and port, and wine list descriptions so oddball you’re forced to read the whole page.
- High point: A funky slant to the décor sets this apart from other neighbourhood diners
- Low point: That disappointed feeling when you discover your baked duck egg yolk isn’t soft
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 18
- Private dining: Up to 22 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: low key, unobtrusive
- Capacity: 100
- Largest group: 45
- Open since: 1999
- House wine: £14.90 per bottle
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 21 reviews of The Apartment Bistro./5 from RSS feed of these comments