The Apartment Bistro
- Telephone 0131 228 6456
- Food served Mon–Thu & Sun noon–4pm, 5–10pm; Fri/Sat noon–4pm, 5–10.30pm
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 5–7pm.
- Average price £11 (lunch); £20 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £10
- Website www.apartmentrestaurant.com
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
Having taken over in late 2012, The Apartment’s new owners are busy making gentle tweaks to a formula that has served Bruntsfield well for almost fifteen years. Sticking to the appealing modus operandi of serving well-sourced, seasonal food, they’ve increased the turnover of dishes, changing them every couple of days so even if you come three times a week you’ll have decisions to make. There’s a downside to this, as it means you might not be able to try a hugely satisfying kebab of harissa lamb balls studded with feta, or the outlandishly good passion fruit tart with coconut and lime mascarpone. Fortunately the general idea of unfussy, top-to-bottom inviting dishes that take their cue from seasonal ingredients remains constant across the lunch and dinner menus year round. There’s also a new focus on drinks, with quality names like Somerset cider brandy, a separate list for sherry and port, and wine list descriptions so oddball you’re forced to read the whole page.
- High point: A funky slant to the décor sets this apart from other neighbourhood diners
- Low point: That disappointed feeling when you discover your baked duck egg yolk isn’t soft
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 18
- Private dining: Up to 22 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: low key, unobtrusive
- Capacity: 100
- Largest group: 45
- Open since: 1999
- House wine: £14.90 per bottle
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 20 reviews of The Apartment Bistro./5 from RSS feed of these comments